August 2012 Mission Trip to West Virginia
The Mission Committee (MC) plays a major role in the missional life of the Potomac Presbyterian Church and caring for all with faith, hope, and love. The MC identifies local organizations and charities that organize activities to serve the needs (housing, clothing and food) of our County neighbors, as well as organizations that work to end poverty and homelessness through preventative and supportive programming.. All PPC members are encouraged to participate in these activities,many of which are intergenerational . The MC also identifies charities and organizations that serve the needy at the local, national, and global level as being appropriate for support with PPC funds.
The Covid-19 epidemic required cancellation or adaptation of many in-person projects in 2020 but also presented new opportunities.
- Meals for Interfaith Works Women’s shelter in Rockville - After more than 20 years of providing one week of breakfast and bagged lunches and seated dinners for up to 35 residents of the shelter, PPC adapted to supplying staple grocery items, delivering several evenings of home cooked meals, and providing financial support for food delivery for the remainder of the week’s dinners.
- Youth Mission Trip – This year’s trip to West Virginia was cancelled ending over 20 years of PPC youth repairing homes of those unable to complete repairs themselves. The youth this year (2020) were able instead to meet locally and support several initiatives in Potomac and surrounding communities.
- Thank you to First Line Healthcare Workers--We conducted a letter and thank you card campaign for essential workers at Children’s National Hospital allowing active participation by our members from their homes.
- Food Scarcity--With unprecedented demand by those facing food insecurity in Montgomery County we initiated a monthly no-contact food drive for Nourish Now (ongoing).
- Health Care --We collected an assembled 50 family hygiene kits which were distributed in conjunction with Kindworks to families requesting assistance in Germantown and the surrounding up-county area.
- School Supplies--We continued our longstanding support of the Interfaith Works school supply drive for local area children and youth, collecting financial and material donations.
- Autism Research and Support--PPC’s Autism Speaks running and walking teams went virtual when the annual Potomac July 4th 5K run and walk became ALL virtual this summer. PPC members supported the efforts to raise funds for research and support to families facing this growing disorder. We also helped the event achieve participation in all fifty states for the first time!
- Hurricane Relief and repair - One of the only hands-on projects not impacted this year occurred in January when a PPC team traveled to the Florida panhandle to help long term rebuilding after Hurricane Michael devastation in fall 2018
- In 2020, the PPC MC has allocated its portion of the church budget to provide financial support for the following local charities: Interfaith Works, Stepping Stones Shelter, Rainbow Place, Manna Food, Mobile Med, Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless, Nourish Now, and the Wider Circle.
- During the upcoming Christmas holidays, Mission Committee members will again ask the congregation to supply small gift items and toiletry items for the Empowerment Center in Silver Spring. We will also invite PPC members to donate Christmas gifts for the children of Interfaith Works family services programs.
National and International project support:
- The Por Cristo cardiac surgery team partially supported by PPC has twice had to postpone its trip to Ecuador to train physicians and nurses in cardiac techniques. The trip was first postponed in October 2019 due to political unrest and again in April 2020 due to Covid 19. Our church continues to support primary schooling and related resources for 5 young students in Ecuador.
- Supporting theological education and missionary work globally is part of the MC’s work.
- Thus, financial support has been provided to Princeton Theological Seminary and Wesley Theological Seminary, as well as to PCUSA missionaries Jeremy and Luta Garbat-Welch in Malawi, Hands Along the Nile in Egypt, Caritas.[?].